Thursday, August 21, 2008

Vader - What should we do

Well my girls have been begging me for years to get a puppy. And you know how much Brylee loves dogs. I kept putting it off because I really didn't want to deal with the extra "child" and all the extra work and responsibility that comes with it. But we saw this little pug at the pet store and we fell in love with him including Bret which is just odd. So we just bought him on a whim (Wednesday) and adored him for four days until he started having diarrhea(Sunday). We were in Twin Falls and a lady at the pet store said it might be Parvo. Searching the Internet for a few minutes convinced me I needed to take our little Vader (his name) to a Vet. So I drove him to Buhl and yes he had Parvo. Parvo is a fatal virus if not treating immediately and even if treated it may still be fatal. We left vader at the Vet and came home to Pocatello. The vet had hopes for Vader all week and even Thursday afternoon told me he could go home Friday or Saturday. So Friday morning we headed to Twin to go through the temple and get our puppy. Ellie was so excited. We got to Burley when the vet called with news that Vader had passed away. Ellie cried forever and made me promise her we would get another puppy. This little puppy was seriously the cutest thing, so playful and so fun.

The pet store will either refund our money (and pay the vet bill) or get us a new puppy. However, this virus stays on our property for years. We can't bring a puppy home until it has had three shots and even then it may still get Parvo, not likely but possibly. My girls are devastated and really want another puppy. Do I get one?

10 comments:

Nichole Rammell said...

i guess it's fine that you used my background, what can i say, i've got good taste! i can't give you any advice about the dog, just keep your virus to yourself, i don't want my cats getting it! ha! ha!

Kami P. said...

Oh my heavens...what a story!!! Frank is, again, begging me to get another dog. I'm like, "Whatever!!" I'd say get another one because Ellie will never live it down. :-) Maybe tell her no and then surprise her for her birthday or something.
Love ya guys.

Jeffiner said...

Hi Ashley, I have been watching your blog to see what you all are up to, and I have to say...That is SOO sad! I have never heard of Parvo. It's hard to know what to do. After our cat was viciously killed by the dog next door, we opted to get a bird. We went to the pet store and ended up walking out with...another cat. Good luck with whatever you do! Jenn

Robyn Peck said...

Oh, that's so sad. My mom had a batch of kittens that got that virus and we slowly watched all of the kittens die. It seriously is so sad to see. Her cat had more kittens and my mom was worried about the other kittens getting it, but amazingly enough they all survived. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Candi said...

So sorry about your little puppy! It seems like we are all at that stage of getting pets for our kids that we are not as excited about. What we don't do for our kids! Hopefully your next go around will have a better outcome!

Unknown said...

That is so sad! I really don't know what we are going to do about the dog thing! Hey, how do I get Robyn to let me see her blog?

leslie m. said...

Maybe you could try looking in the paper for an older dog. That would eliminate the "child" feeling too. It could already be potty trained and healthy when you bring it home. Also, anyone can love a puppy but finding a full grown dog you love would be perfect!!

Unknown said...

Uh... I got Jax a great dane puppy on Friday! I don't know what I was thinking, but you should bring the girls up to see him! I will try to get some pictures up on my blog soon!

Nickie said...

I'm so sorry your puppy died, that made me tear up, poor little guy. I'm sorry.
I don't know what I would do. I guess I'd just ask the vet's advice and see what they say, or what they recommend.
Oh, I'm so sorry Ash.
Give your girls big hugs for me.

Unknown said...

Pictures of our puppy are up on my blog!